[Cython] Jenkins jobs refactored

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Tue Sep 6 22:58:28 CEST 2011

Robert Bradshaw, 06.09.2011 22:21:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> I replaced the half-a-ton of cython-devel jobs in Jenkins by three
>> multi-configuration matrix jobs:
>>
>> https://sage.math.washington.edu:8091/hudson/job/cython-devel-build/
>>
>> https://sage.math.washington.edu:8091/hudson/job/cython-devel-tests/
>>
>> https://sage.math.washington.edu:8091/hudson/job/cython-devel-tests-pyregr/
>>
>> The sdist job that does the git checkouts is unchanged:
>>
>> https://sage.math.washington.edu:8091/hudson/job/cython-devel-sdist/
>>
>> This setup only slightly reduces the flexibility of the overall
>> configuration, but it greatly reduces the maintenance overhead for the jobs
>> and makes it much easier to keep their configuration aligned.
>
> Nice.
>
>> The only downside is that it that all build jobs must terminate before the
>> tests are triggered. Given that the turn-over times are quite low, I don't
>> think that's a problem. Quite the contrary, if one of the PyX.Y builds
>> fails, none of the test jobs will run, which I think is a good thing.
>
> The one drawback is this seems to make it hard to implement the idea
> of testing 2.4, 2.7, and 3.2 before building and testing all the rest
> for quicker feedback?

Partly. All build jobs will have to terminate first, yes, but Jenkins has a
notion of a "touchstone build", which allows to configure certain builds in
the matrix that should run first. So, after all PyX.Y builds are ready,
Py2.4/7 and Py3k will be tested first. That way, the feedback is a little
slower than today, but it still prefers the important platforms.