[Cython] Cython problems on OS X Lion

Wes McKinney wesmckinn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 00:09:16 CEST 2011

Multiple users have reporting being unable to get the Cython
extensions in pandas to work:

Here is the traceback:

In [1]: import pandas
ImportError Traceback (most recent call last)
/Users/fonnescj/<ipython-input-1-d6ac987968b6> in <module>()
----> 1 import pandas
in <module>()
10 from pandas.info import __doc__
---> 12 from pandas.core.api import *
13 from pandas.core.common import set_printoptions
14 from pandas.io.parsers import read_csv, read_table, ExcelFile
in <module>()
 6 import pandas.core.datetools as datetools
----> 8 from pandas.core.common import isnull, notnull, set_printoptions
 9 from pandas.core.index import Index, Factor, MultiIndex
10 from pandas.core.daterange import DateRange
in <module>()
 9 import numpy as np
---> 11 import pandas._tseries as _tseries
13 # XXX: HACK for NumPy 1.5.1 to suppress warnings
ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function (init_tseries)

Anyone on the Cython dev team have a 10.7 Lion machine to help me
debug this? I haven't had time to backup and upgrade my laptop yet. As
far as I can tell this is the only platform which has problems-- OS X
<= 10.6, Windows 32/64, Linux 64-bit all work fine.

Are there any known issues with Lion?