[Cython] CEP1000: Native dispatch through callables

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 20:10:08 CEST 2012

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Dag Sverre Seljebotn, 14.04.2012 10:41:
>> Greg Ewing wrote:

>>> Is it really? I got the impression that it's not considered feasible,
>>> since it would require massive changes to the entire implementation
>>> and totally break the existing C API. Has someone thought of a way
>>> around those problems?
>>
>> I was just referring to the offhand comments in PEP3121, but I guess that PEP had multiple reasons, and perhaps this particular arguøent had no significance...
>
> IIRC, the last status was that even after this PEP, Py3 still has serious
> issues with keeping extension modules in separate interpreters. And this
> probably isn't worth doing anything about because it won't work without a
> major effort in all sorts of places. And I never heard that any extension
> module even tried to support this.
>
> I don't think we should invest too much thought into this direction.

I had never even heard of this PEP before this thread, but this
certainly seems reasonable to me. Aside from this, there is some value
with the inlined signature in that a pure C library can easily support
the ABI as well.

Has anyone done any experiments/timings to see if having constants vs.
globals even matters?

- Robert