[Cython] CEP1000: Native dispatch through callables

mark florisson markflorisson88 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 23:15:22 CEST 2012

On 14 April 2012 22:02, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> [...]
>

>> ==== Optional: Encoding ====
>>
>> The strcmp approach can be made efficient for larger signatures by
>> using a more efficient encoding than ASCII. E.g., an encoding could
>> use 4 bits for the 12 most common symbols and 8 bits
>> for 64 symbols (for a total of 78 symbols), of which some could be
>> letter combinations ("Zd", "T{"). This should be reasonably simple
>> to encode and decode.
>>
>> The CEP should provide C routines in a header file to work with the
>> signatures. Callers that wish to parse the format string and build a
>> call stack on the fly should probably work with the encoded
>> representation.
>
> Huffman codes can be processed bitwise from start to end, that would work.
>
> However, this would quickly die when we start adding arbitrary object
> types. That would require a global registry for user types again. A reason
> not to care about object types at the caller.
>
> Also, how do we encode struct/union argument types?
>

>> ==== Discussion ====
>>
>> '''The cost of comparing a signature''': For the vast majority of
>> functions, the cost is comparing a 64-bit number stored in the CPU
>> instruction stream (needle) to a value that is guaranteed to already
>> be in cache (candidate match).
>>
>> '''Pros:'''
>>
>>  * Readability-wise, one can use the C switch statement to dispatch
>>
>>  * "Stateless data", for compiled code it does not require any
>>    run-time initialization like interning does
>>
>>  * One less pointer-dereference in the common case of a short
>>    signature
>>
>> '''Cons:'''
>>
>>  * Long signatures will require more than 8 bytes to store and could
>>    thus be more expensive than interned strings
>
> We could also ignore trailing arguments and only dispatch based on a fixed
> number of first arguments. Callees with more arguments would then simply
> not export native signatures.
>

>>  * Format looks uglier in the form of literals in C source code
>
> They are not meant for reading, and we can always generate a comment with a
> spelled-out readable signature next to it.
>

>> == Signature strings ==
>>
>> Example: The function
>> {{{
>> int f(double x, float y);
>> }}}
>> would have the signature string {{{"df)i"}}} (or, to save space, {{{"idf"}}}).
>>
>> Fields would follow the PEP3118 extensions of the struct-module format
>> string, but with some modifications:
>>
>>  * The format should be canonical and fit for {{{strcmp}}}-like
>>    comparison: No whitespace, no field names (TBD: what else?)
>>
>>  * TBD: Information about GIL requirements (nogil, with gil?), how
>>    exceptions are reported
>
> What about C++, including C++ exceptions?
>

>>  * TBD: Support for Cython-specific constructs like memoryview slices
>>    (so that arrays with strides and shape can be passed faster than
>>    passing an {{{"O"}}}).
>
> Is this really Cython specific or would a generic Py_buffer struct work?

That could work through simple unboxing wrapper functions, but it
would add some overhead, specifically because it would have to check
the buffer's object, and if it didn't exist or was not a memoryview
object, it would have to create one (checking whether something is a
memoryview object would also be a pain, as each module has a different
memoryview type). That could still be feasible for interaction with
Cython functions from non-Cython code.