[Cython] Julialang

Dimitri Tcaciuc dtcaciuc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 19:09:08 CEST 2012

I may be misuderstanding the intent here, but here it goes.

If the main idea is to be able to call functions that are written in
Julia or other languages, I think an effort to create an LLVM backend
for Cython would go a long way towards inter-language connections as
the one discussed here. It should be possible to take Cython- and
Julia- produced LLVM bytecode and assemble it all together, applying
whatever bytecode optimizers that are available (eg. SSE
vectorization). A big advantage of that approach is that there's no
need for one language to know syntax conventions of the other one (or
at least not to full extent). Continuing the effort, it should be
possible to eliminate the need for writing an intermediate .c/.cpp
file if Clang compiler is used, which is also LLVM based.

Dimitri.