[Cython] Wacky idea: proper macros

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Apr 30 22:55:15 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:
> JIT is really the way to go. It is one thing that a JIT could optimize the
> case where you pass a callback to a function and inline it run-time. But
> even if it doesn't get that fancy, it'd be great to just be able to write
> something like "cython.eval(s)" and have that be compiled (I guess you could
> do that now, but the sheer overhead of the C compiler and all the .so files
> involved means nobody would sanely use that as the main way of stringing
> together something like pandas).

The overhead of running a fully optimizing compiler over pandas on
every import is pretty high, though. You can come up with various
caching mechanisms, but they all mean introducing some kind of compile
time/run time distinction. So I'm skeptical we'll just be able to get
rid of that concept, even in a brave new LLVM/PyPy/Julia world.

-- Nathaniel