[Cython] remaining open issues for 0.17

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Aug 9 17:36:15 CEST 2012

Stefan Behnel, 09.08.2012 14:31:
> mark florisson, 07.08.2012 11:09:
>> I thought the 32 bit issue was resolved? You pushed a fix and I fixed
>> some tests, so it passed for me. I can run it again to check...
>
> I don't know. Yaroslav replied to your mail saying that your fixes didn't
> change anything for the Debian builds. Let's see what he has to say about
> the second beta.

He ran them through the build servers. Here are the latest results:

https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=cython&suite=experimental

(hint: click on "all" in the Logs column, then click on the build result to
see the log output)

The i386 tests show 4 errors related to fused types in the NumPy tests:

https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=cython&arch=i386&ver=0.17~beta1-2&stamp=1343428255

>From a quick look, they might really be problems in the tests rather than
the code we generate.

It also looks like my signed char fix was not sufficient, as you can see in
the memslice tests here, e.g. in the
"memslice.__test__.test_memslice_struct_with_arrays" test:

https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=cython&arch=s390&ver=0.17~beta1-2&stamp=1343418358

It now prints

"""
ValueError: Buffer dtype mismatch, expected 'char' but got 'unsigned char'
in 'ArrayStruct.chars'
"""

Well, "char" and "unsigned char" are supposed to be the same on this
platform, but I guess it can't know that. I wonder if "char" and "signed
char" are considered identical on other platforms ...

To fix the tests, it might be enough to use an explicit "unsigned char"
instead of plain "char" for the types. Not sure if that's a good idea or if
there actually is a bug hidden below this test failure. At least, it smells
like an inconvenience for users to get that error.