[Cython] Cython 0.17 beta 3 released - release candidate

Christoph Gohlke cgohlke at uci.edu
Fri Aug 24 07:20:47 CEST 2012

On 8/23/2012 11:13 AM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> on behalf of the Cython project team, I'm proud to announce the release of
> our third beta of Cython 0.17. This is our first and hopefully last release
> candidate for 0.17, another major step forward in the development of the
> language that will make life easier for a lot of users, rounds up some
> rough edges of the compiler and adds (preliminary) support for CPython 3.3
> and PyPy.
>
> Download: http://cython.org/release/Cython-0.17b3.tar.gz
>
> Release notes: http://wiki.cython.org/ReleaseNotes-0.17
>
> Documentation: http://docs.cython.org/
>

> Major features of this release include:
>
> * vastly improved integration with the C++ STL containers
>
>    http://docs.cython.org/src/userguide/wrapping_CPlusPlus.html#standard-library
>
>    http://docs.cython.org/src/tutorial/strings.html#c-strings
>
> * "yield from" delegation between generators (PEP 380)
>
>    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0380/
>
> * alpha quality support for PyPy (via cpyext)
>
>    http://docs.cython.org/src/userguide/pypy.html
>

> Several other features and improvements are listed in the release notes:
>
>    http://wiki.cython.org/ReleaseNotes-0.17
>

> Have fun,
>
> Stefan

Hello Stefan,

Thank you. I tested Cython-0.17b3 on Windows 7 with Visual Studio compilers.

32 bit Python 2.7 works well, only 4 test failures.

On 64 bit Python 2.7 and 3.2 with msvc9 compiler, python.exe crashes
during `test_slice_assignment (memslice.__test__)`. I tested two
computers. The Windows executive can not identify in which specific
module it crashes, and neither enabling faulthandler nor building with
debug symbols gives any useful information. Can anyone reproduce this?
It seems compiler specific since Python 3.3, which is using msvc10, does
not crash. When disabling test_slice_assignment, runtests.py completes
with many failures.

The results of `runtests.py -v -v` are at
<http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/tests/cython/>.

Christoph