[Cython] array expressions

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Mon Aug 27 11:53:19 CEST 2012

On 08/24/2012 08:40 PM, mark florisson wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Here a pull request for element-wise array expressions for Cython:
> https://github.com/cython/cython/pull/144
> It includes the IndexNode refactoring branch as well.
>
> This has been the work this last summer for the gsoc, with great
> supervision from Dag, who helped steer the project in a great
> direction to make it reusable (it's partially included in Numba and
> will likely be in Theano in the future, hopefully others as well). I
> also wrote a thesis for my master's, which can be found here
> https://github.com/markflorisson88/minivect/tree/master/thesis, which
> can shed
> some light on some parts of the design and performance aspects.
> Performance graphs can also be found here:
> https://github.com/markflorisson88/minivect/tree/master/bench/graphs
>
> So anyway, how would you prefer dealing with the minivect submodule?
> We could include it verbatim, with any modifications made to minivect
> directly, since we'd have separate git histories. We could
> alternatively make it an optional submodule which is only required
> when actually using array expressions. I like the latter, but anything
> is fine with me really.

I think I support using a git submodule for now. Not sure about making
it optional (which I assume would make array expression testcases not
run if it minivect is not present so that there's no test failures); we
want to make sure we are forced to do releases and testing right and
include it, and if it is only required to compile code that uses
memoryview expressions users could get confused about there being two
Cython "editions" around.

Since "git submodule" does link to a specific revision, so there's no
stability concerns over verbatim inclusion.

How hg-git deals with submodules is worth consideration too though.

Dag