[Cython] [cython-users] Re: Bringing Cython and PyPy closer together

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sat Feb 18 17:11:15 CET 2012

Stefan Behnel, 18.02.2012 09:54:
> Stefan Behnel, 15.02.2012 12:32:
>> The current state of the discussion seems to be that PyPy provides ways to
>> talk to C code, but nothing as complete as CPython's C-API in the sense
>> that it allows efficient two-way communication between C code and Python
>> objects. Thus, we need to either improve this or look for alternatives.
>> In order to get us more focussed on what can be done and what the
>> implications are, so that we may eventually be able to decide what should
>> be done, I started a Wiki page for a PyPy backend CEP (Cython Enhancement
>> Proposal).
>> http://wiki.cython.org/enhancements/pypy
> The discussion so far makes me rather certain that the most promising
> short-term solution is to make Cython generate C code that PyPy's cpyext
> can handle. This should get us a rather broad set of running code somewhat
> quickly, while requiring the least design-from-scratch type of work in a
> direction that does not yet allow us to see if it will really make existing
> code work or not.

Amaury Forgeot d'Arc fiddled out a couple of fixes and hacks to make it run
(although with some clear bugs in the exception handling code). There is a
Jenkins job now to (try to) run the test suite of my own branch in the
latest PyPy nightly build:

It currently crashes rather badly at some point, but at least it looks like
it's actually getting somewhere.