[Cython] 0.16 release

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at math.washington.edu
Wed Jan 25 18:39:17 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 4:17 AM, mark florisson
<markflorisson88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 January 2012 12:00, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
>> mark florisson, 25.01.2012 11:43:

>>> Sort of. Basically if you don't use memoryviews it will be as fast as
>>> it used to be, otherwise there is about a 3 second constant time
>>> overhead (on my machine).

>>> Oh I see. I suppose to try it out under a debugger one would have to
>>> compile the whole of sage from source?
>>
>> It might be easier to log into sage.math, go to the sage build directory
>> that Jenkins uses and do some experiments there. It's in
>>
>> /levi/scratch/robertwb/hudson/sage-4.8/

And compiling Sage from scratch isn't actually that hard: type "make"
and wait a couple of hours. I've updated the description at
https://sage.math.washington.edu:8091/hudson/view/ext-libs/job/sage-build/
to explain how to build a cython-devel sage locally as others have
asked for this as well, in summary you apply the patch at
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/robertwb/hudson-sage/sage-4.8/devel/sage-main/.hg/patches/0.16
to the repo in $SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage-main/ , install
https://sage.math.washington.edu:8091/hudson/view/ext-libs/job/sage-build/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/cython-devel.spkg
by downloading it and running "sage -i cython-devel.spkg" and then do
"sage -ba" to re-build all Cython files.

sage -gdb and sage -t -gdb /path/to/file are useful to know as well.

- Robert