[Cython] Slow traceback reconstruction in IPython between 0.15.1 and master

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 21:42:06 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM, mark florisson
<markflorisson88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Apologies, it was indeed a rather vague comment. I had some issues

No worries.

> with pasting unicode characters a few years back that would get
> incorrect codepoints in ipython but not regular python, but I'm afraid

We had a long and distinguished history of unicode bugs (we even had a
specific tag for them, as they were so severe).  But the vast majority
of them have been fixed, the unicode-filtered list only shows three
open ones:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues?labels=unicode&sort=created&direction=desc&state=open&page=1

So it's possible your problem has indeed been fixed, since we know
that at least the worst horrors are gone now, largely thanks to Thomas
Kluyver's insane persistence.

> I don't have any concrete report. As such I withdraw my comment, I
> just wanted to mention that if something smells iffy it might be a
> good idea to resort to regular python.

That is most certainly a good policy, and I use it myself.  IPython is
necessarily a big and complex beast, so if something looks really odd,
the first sanity check is to remove that layer from the problem.

Cheers,