[Cython] [cython-users] Re: How to find out where an AttributeError is ignored

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Tue Jan 31 18:05:52 CET 2012

On 01/31/2012 05:30 PM, mark florisson wrote:
> On 31 January 2012 02:12, Robert Bradshaw<robertwb at math.washington.edu>  wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Stefan Behnel<stefan_ml at behnel.de>  wrote:
>>> Dag Sverre Seljebotn, 27.01.2012 21:03:
>>>
>>> I know what this feels like. The problem is that these things *are* complex.
>>
>> Yes. We've been wrestling with this issue almost since Cython's inception...
>>
>> I like Mark's two-function idea, with the caveat that f(bad_argument)
>> now behaves quite differently than (&f)[0](bad_argument) for even more
>> obscure reasons. But it may be the way to go.

Keep in mind that we talked about doing more or less the same to get rid
of "nogil"/"with gil". I believe that should be treated in the same
discussion. E.g., when doing

&f

you could get a version which acquires the GIL and which has a C ABI,
while calling f from Cython would step over the GIL-checking and has a
Cython-defined ABI.

Dag