[Cython] failing memory view tests in Python 2.4/5

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Tue Jul 17 13:12:27 CEST 2012

mark florisson, 17.07.2012 12:15:
> On 17 July 2012 09:58, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> mark florisson, 10.07.2012 11:20:
>>> Perhaps we should run
>>> the 2x tests from py27 down to 2.4. Tests in newer python's are less
>>> likely to fail.
>>
>> Test failures are bad in general, though. Just because you hear about them
>> a couple of minutes later doesn't mean that they are less important.
>
> If tests fail in a lower version and not a higher version it often
> means an easy to fix version incompatibility

And also the other way round, but that's usually more related to Py3 bugs.

> (although sometimes,
> especially with buffers and it's special casing, this is really not
> true). But the point is you know whether something is broken in
> general, or it's a version related thing, and that information in
> itself is useful.

We currently run the tests for Py2.[47] and Py3.[23] in parallel before all
others. I think that should be enough to handle that case. However, if one
of them fails, the tests against the remaining Python versions will not be
triggered. I think it might be more helpful to always have all of them run,
so that it's clearer which of the release series are affected (just 2.4? or
2.4 and 2.5, as in this case?)