[Cython] Feature request: generate signature information for use by "inspect"

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Jun 28 09:04:14 CEST 2012

Python's "inspect" module is a great help to get valuable information
about a package. Many higher level tools (e.g. the "help" builtin
and "pydoc") are based on it.

I have just recognized a deficiency of "cython" generated
modules with respect to "inspect" support:

     "inspect" cannot determine the signatures for Python functions
     defined in "Cython" source.

     I understand that this might be a limitation of Python's "C"
     interface.
     In this case, I suggest to enhance the
     function's docstring by signature information.

     I now transform manually my docstrings

	  """<header>

	  <detail>
	  """

     into:

	  <detail>
	  """

     and would be happy to get something similar automatically.

--
Dieter