[Cython] Cython 0.16 and ndarray fields deprecation

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Thu Mar 1 18:29:16 CET 2012

On 01.03.2012 17:18, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:

> are saying we (somehow) stick with supporting "arr.shape[0]" in
> the future, and perhaps even support "print arr.shape"? (+ arr.dim,
> arr.strides).

What if you just deprecate ndarray support completely, and just focus on
memory views?

Yes, you will break all Cython code in the world depending on ndarrays.
But you will do that anyway by tempering with the interface. And as
changes to the NumPy C API mandates a change to the interface, I see no
reason to keep it. If you are going to break all code, then just do it
completely. It is worse to stick to syntax bloat. There should not be
multiple ways to do the same (like the zen of Python).

Sturla