[Cython] Cython 0.16 and ndarray fields deprecation

mark florisson markflorisson88 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 17:29:22 CET 2012

On 1 March 2012 19:16, Sturla Molden <sturla at molden.no> wrote:
> On 01.03.2012 19:33, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
>>

>> Yeah, I proposed this on another thread as one of the options, but the
>> support wasn't overwhelming at the time...
>

> I think it is worse to break parts of it, thus introducing bugs that might
> go silent for a long time.

The point is that we would remain fully backwards compatible (except
for the data attribute perhaps) and support the attributes portably
across numpy versions, nothing would be broken or silent.

> Rather deprecate the whole ndarray interface.

As much as I would like that, you can't just break everyone's code in
a new release. I think the syntax should be removed several versions
later, or maybe even wait until Cython 1.0.