[Cython] OS X 10.7 Lion: GCC __builtin_expect unrecognized inside OpenMP blocks

mark florisson markflorisson88 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 17:09:32 CET 2012

On 11 March 2012 09:26, Lisandro Dalcin <dalcinl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 March 2012 09:46, mark florisson <markflorisson88 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10 March 2012 14:00, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
>>> Lisandro Dalcin, 10.03.2012 10:51:

>>> Could that be coded into the macro or would it require to change the
>>> generated code? But at least it sounds like it would not impact code in
>>> functions that are being called from within the OpenMP blocks, would it?
>>> Just the code straight inside the block. A work-around could still have a
>>> substantial impact if it requires changes to the generated code.
>>
>> Yeah, that's why I suggested the undef/re-def approach around OpenMP
>> blocks. It's some code bloat, but only for the C preprocessor, so it
>> should be fine.
>>

> I still feel bad about this. What about just disabling branch
> prediction if OpenMP is ever used? Or perhaps just protect the
> definitions of likely/unlikely with some guard, such as users can
> disable them using a -D definition?

Why? That would disable all compiler optimizations in all code that
could be gotten through the hints, due to a stupid C compiler bug when
using cython.parallel. It would be better to do an easy fix, a nasty
workaround for a nasty bug, but it shouldn't slow down other code. The
only problem with it is a couple of extra bytes in your .c file, and
the fact that it makes us feel less fuzzy inside because we realize
our world isn't what we want it to be.