[Cython] Conditional import in pure Python mode

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at gmail.com
Wed May 2 08:56:08 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Francesc Alted, 01.05.2012 21:49:

math.pxd would be a bit trickier, as we're trying to shadow python
functions with independent c implementations (rather than declaring
structure to the single numpy array object and exposing c-level only
methods. We'd need to support stuff like

double x = ...
double y = sin(x) # fast
cdef object f = sin # grab the builtin one?

but this is by no means insurmountable and could be really useful.

>>> I'm not sure, it means the user has to have numpy development headers.
>>
>> But if the user is going to compile a NumPy application, it sounds like
>> strange to me that she should not be required to install the NumPy
>> development headers, right?
>
> Let's say it's not impossible that someone uses NumPy and Cython without
> any accelerated C level connection between the two, but it's rather
> unlikely, given that Cython already has all dependencies that this
> connection would require as well, except for the NumPy header files.
>
> So I would suggest to make the automatic override the default for any
> module for which a .pxd file with the same fully qualified name is found in
> the search path, and to require users to explicitly disable this feature
> for a given module using a module level (or external) compiler directive if
> they feel like getting slower code (or working around a bug or whatever).

There is another consideration: this can introduce unnecessary and
potentially costly dependencies. For example, in Sage one has
sage/rings/integer.pxd. Not everything that imports from this file
needs c-level access to the Integer type, and requiring everything
that imports from sage.rings.integer to be re-compiled when this file
changes would increase the (admittedly already lengthy) re-compile, as
well as sucking in a (chain of) un-needed declarations. As Cython
becomes more and more common, a similar effect could happen between
projects as well.

This may be the exception rather than the rule, so perhaps it's not
*that* bad to let opt-in be the default, i.e.

# cython: cimport_on_import = __all__

- Robert