[Cython] Python array support (#113)

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun May 6 07:42:18 CEST 2012

Stefan Behnel, 05.05.2012 21:50:
>>   https://github.com/cython/cython/pull/113
>
> This looks ok to me now. There have been objections back when we discussed
> the initial patch for array.array support, so what do you think about
> merging this in?

One think I'm not sure about is how to deal with the header file. It would
be nice to not rely on an external dependency that users need to ship with
their code. Moving this into our utility code to write it into the C file
would remove that need, but we don't currently have a way to trigger
utility code insertion from .pxd files explicitly. Should we special case
"cimport cpython.array" for this?

Oh, and maybe we should also provide a fused type for the supported array
item types to make it easier for users to write generic array code?
(Although the mass of types may be overkill for most users...)