[Cython] Python array support (#113)

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun May 6 11:05:51 CEST 2012

mark florisson, 06.05.2012 10:56:
> On 5 May 2012 20:50, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>>>   https://github.com/cython/cython/pull/113
>>
>> This looks ok to me now. There have been objections back when we discussed
>> the initial patch for array.array support, so what do you think about
>> merging this in?
>
> Great, I think it can be quite useful for some people. I think only
> some documentation is missing.
>
> Also, very minor complaint, the way it allocates shape, strides and
> the format string in __getbuffer__ is weird and complicated for no
> good reason.

Maybe the reason is just that it wasn't written by you. ;)

I take it that it's best to merge this pull request then, and to further
fix it up afterwards.

> I think it's better to declare two Py_ssize_t scalars or
> one-sized arrays as class attributes and one char[2] array, and use
> those (then you can also get rid of __releasebuffer__).

Yes, that would be good. Note that itemsize is specifically designed so
that it can be pointed to by strides for 1D arrays, and I guess shape can
similarly just point to ob_size.