[Cython] buffer syntax vs. memory view syntax

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Tue May 8 10:36:18 CEST 2012

On 05/08/2012 10:18 AM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
> Dag Sverre Seljebotn, 08.05.2012 09:57:

>>> Yeah, the idea is as very simple, as you mention, just keep the object
>>> around cached, and when you slice construct one lazily.

>>> You mean the buffer syntax?

>>> I was thinking you could allow the user to register a callback, and
>>> use that to coerce from a memoryview back to an object (given a
>>> memoryview object). For numpy this would be np.asarray, and the
>>> implementation is allowed to cache the result (which it will).
>>> It may be too magicky though... but it will be convenient. The
>>> memoryview will act as a subclass, meaning that any of its methods
>>> will override methods of the converted object.
>>
>> My point was that this seems *way* to magicky.
>>
>> Beyond "confusing users" and so on that are sort of subjective, here's a
>> fundamental problem for you: We're making it very difficult to type-infer
>> memoryviews. Consider:
>>
>> cdef double[:] x = ...
>> y = x
>> print y.shape
>>
>> Now, because y is not typed, you're semantically throwing in a conversion
>> on line 2, so that line 3 says that you want the attribute access to be
>> invoked on "whatever object x coerced back to". And we have no idea what
>> kind of object that is.
>>
>> If you don't transparently convert to object, it'd be safe to automatically
>> infer y as a double[:].
>
> Why can't y be inferred as the type of x due to the assignment?
>

>> On a related note, I've said before that I dislike the notion of
>>
>> cdef double[:] mview = obj
>>
>> I'd rather like
>>
>> cdef double[:] mview = double[:](obj)
>
> Why? We currently allow
>
>      cdef char* s = some_py_bytes_string
>
> Auto-coercion is a serious part of the language, and I don't see the
> advantage of requiring the redundancy in the case above. It's clear enough
> to me what the typed assignment is intended to mean: get me a buffer view
> on the object, regardless of what it is.
>

>> I support Robert in that "np.ndarray[double]" is the syntax to use when you
>> want this kind of transparent "be an object when I need to and a memory
>> view when I need to".
>>
>> Proposal:
>>
>>   1) We NEVER deprecate "np.ndarray[double]", we commit to keeping that in
>> the language. It means exactly what you would like double[:] to mean, i.e.
>> a variable that is memoryview when you need to and an object otherwise.
>> When you use this type, you bear the consequences of early-binding things
>> that could in theory be overridden.
>>
>>   2) double[:] is for when you want to access data of *any* Python object in
>> a generic way. Raw PEP 3118. In those situations, access to the underlying
>> object is much less useful.
>>
>>    2a) Therefore we require that you do "mview.asobject()" manually; doing
>> "mview.foo()" is a compile-time error
>
> Sounds good. I think that would clean up the current syntax overlap very
> nicely.

> [...]

This I don't understand. The question of 2c) is the analogue to
auto-coercion of "char*" to bytes; approving 2c) would put memoryviews
in line with char*.

Then again, we could in future auto-coerce char* to a ctypes pointer,
and in that case, coercing a memoryview to an object representing that
memoryview would be OK.

Either way, you would never get back the same object that you coerced from!

Dag