[Cython] [Python-Dev] C-level duck typing

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Thu May 17 09:12:17 CEST 2012

Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:

> [...]
>the
>>> outside, either as a function argument or as the result of a
>function call,
>>> is being called, we try to unpack a C function pointer from it on
>all
>>> assignments to the variable. If that works, we can scan for a
>suitable
>>> signature (either right away or lazily on first access) and cache
>that. On
>>> each subsequent call through that variable, the cached C function
>will be used.
>>>
>>> That means we'd replace Python variables that are being called by
>multiple
>>> local variables, one that holds the object and one for each C
>function with
>>> a different signature that it is being called with. We set the C
>function
>>> variables to NULL when the Python function variable is being
>assigned to.
>>> When the C function variable is NULL on call, we scan for a matching
>>> signature and assign it to the variable.  When no matching signature
>can be
>>> found, we set it to (void*)-1.
>>>
>>> Additionally, we allow explicit user casts of Python objects to C
>function
>>> types, which would then try to unpack the C function, raising a
>TypeError
>>> on mismatch.
>>>
>>> Assignments to callable variables can be expected to occur much less
>>> frequently than calls to them, so this will give us a good trade-off
>in
>>> most cases. I don't see why this kind of caching would be any slower
>inside
>>> of loops than what we were discussing so far.
>>
>> This works really well for local variables, but for globals, def
>> methods or callbacks as attributes, this won't work so well, as they
>> may be rebound at any time outside of the module scope.
>
>Only half true for globals, which can be declared "cdef object", e.g.
>for
>imported names. That would allow Cython to see all possible
>reassignments
>in a module, which would then apply the above scheme.
>
>I don't think def methods are a use case for this because you'd either
>cpdef them or even cdef them if you want speed. If you want them to be
>overridable, you'll have to live with the speed penalty that that
>implies.
>
>For object attributes, you have to pay the penalty of a lookup anyway,
>no
>way around that. We can't even cache anything here (e.g. with a
>borrowed
>reference) because the attribute may be rebound to another object that
>happens to live at the same address as the previous one. However, if
>you
>want speed, you'd do it as in CPython and assign the object to a local
>variable to pay the lookup of only once. Problem solved.

'Problem solved' by pushing the work over to the user? By that line of argument, why not just kill of Cython and require users to write C?

Hyperbole aside; do you really believe it is worth dropping a relatively easy optimization just to make the C level code more to the taste of some python-dev posters?

Dag