[Cython] gsoc: array expressions

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Tue May 22 08:57:04 CEST 2012

On 05/22/2012 08:48 AM, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:36 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
> <d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no>  wrote:
>> On 05/22/2012 08:11 AM, Robert Bradshaw wrote:

>>> I'm assuming the index computations would not be re-done in this case
>>> (i.e. there's more magic going on here than looks like at first
>>> glance)? Otherwise there is an advantage to ndenumerate.
>>

>> Ideally, there is a lot more magic going on, though I don't know how far
>> Mark wants to go.
>>
>> Imagine "nditerate(A, A.T)", in that case it would have to make many small
>> tiles so that for each tile being processed, A has a tile in cache and A.T
>> has another tile in cache (so that one doesn't waste cache line transfers).
>>
>> So those array lookups would potentially look up in different memory
>> buffers, with the strides known at compile time.
>
> Yes, being clever about the order in which to iterate over the indices
> is the hard problem to solve here. I was thinking more in terms of the
> inner loop iterating over the innermost dimension only to do the
> indexing (retrieval and assignment), similar to how the generic NumPy
> iterator works.

The point isn't only being clever about the *order*...you need "copy-in,
copy-out".

The point is that the NumPy iterator is not good enough (for
out-of-cache situations). Since you grab a cache line (64 bytes) each
time from main memory, a plain NumPy broadcasted iterator throws away a
lot of memory for "A + A.T", since for ndim>1 there's NO iteration order
which isn't bad (for instance, you could iterate in the order of A, and
the result would be that for each element of A.T you fetch there is 64
bytes transferred).

So the solution is to copy A.T block-wise to a temporary scratch space
in cache so that you use all the elements in the cache line before
throwing it out of cache.

In C, I've seen a simple blocking transpose operation be over four times
faster than the brute-force transpose for this reason.

Dag