[Cython] gsoc: array expressions

mark florisson markflorisson88 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 15:16:44 CEST 2012

On 22 May 2012 07:48, Robert Bradshaw <robertwb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:36 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
> <d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:
>> On 05/22/2012 08:11 AM, Robert Bradshaw wrote:

>>> I'm assuming the index computations would not be re-done in this case
>>> (i.e. there's more magic going on here than looks like at first
>>> glance)? Otherwise there is an advantage to ndenumerate.
>>

>> Ideally, there is a lot more magic going on, though I don't know how far
>> Mark wants to go.
>>
>> Imagine "nditerate(A, A.T)", in that case it would have to make many small
>> tiles so that for each tile being processed, A has a tile in cache and A.T
>> has another tile in cache (so that one doesn't waste cache line transfers).
>>
>> So those array lookups would potentially look up in different memory
>> buffers, with the strides known at compile time.
>
> Yes, being clever about the order in which to iterate over the indices
> is the hard problem to solve here. I was thinking more in terms of the
> inner loop iterating over the innermost dimension only to do the
> indexing (retrieval and assignment), similar to how the generic NumPy
> iterator works.

That's a valid point, but my experience has been that any worthy C
compiler will do common subexpression elimination for the outer
dimensions and not recompute the offset every time. It actually
generated marginally faster code for scalar assignment than a
"cascaded pointer assignment", i.e. faster than

p0 = data;
    p1 = p0 + i * strides[0]
        p2 = p1 + j * strides[1]
    }
}

(haven't tried manual strength reduction there though).