[Cython] array expressions

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun Oct 14 08:18:27 CEST 2012

mark florisson, 13.10.2012 20:30:
> On 12 October 2012 20:01, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:

>>> I'm assuming this has already been looked at, at least to some level,
>>> by Dag, but I'll try to take a brief pass at it too (probably more the
>>> interface than the implementation).
>>
>> Thanks for doing that, it'd be great to get this in (but myself I've got
>> nothing to spare). I'll admit I was mostly focused on the generated code and
>> the algorithms in minivect rather than the integration with Cython.
>>
>>> I don't see a reason for a new pull request.
>
> Great. As for the packaging, I'm creating a distribution branch, and a
> subtree branch. Newer versions of git have a 'subtree' command
> (previously https://github.com/apenwarr/git-subtree), which allows one
> to split of, merge, push, and pull subdirectories.
>
> This means when users pull the master project, they get the
> sub-projects as well (without themselves needing newer git versions).
> Any changes to a subproject can be merged into the subproject, and
> changes can be pulled back in (with a squash option to avoid mixing in
> the subproject's history).
>
> What about using this approach? That way Cython remains stable and
> pinned on the right minivect version now and in the future, with no
> burden on users.

I still prefer having separate packages. I mean, we don't ship NumPy
either, even though a lot of people use Cython together with it.

Keeping the two packages separate helps in keeping the interface between
both clean. I wouldn't want to end up with Cython shipping some patched up
version of minivect just because it's so easy, and I would like to allow
users to install a new version of either Cython or minivect at any time.