[Cython] Fwd: Re: [Python-Dev] Python 3.3 vs. Python 2.7 benchmark results (again, but this time more solid numbers)

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Sat Oct 27 23:44:23 CEST 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Python-Dev] Python 3.3 vs. Python 2.7 benchmark results
(again, but this time more solid numbers)
Date: 	Sun, 28 Oct 2012 07:53:42 +1100
From: 	Tim Delaney <timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com>
To: 	python-dev at python.org

On 28 October 2012 07:40, Mark Shannon <mark at hotpy.org
<mailto:mark at hotpy.org>> wrote:

     I suspect that stating and loading the .pyc files is responsible for
     most of the overhead.
     PyRun starts up quite a lot faster thanks to embedding all the
     modules in the executable:
     http://www.egenix.com/__products/python/PyRun/
     <http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/>

     Freezing all the core modules into the executable should reduce
     start up time.

That suggests a test to me that the Cython guys might be interested in
(or may well have performed in the past). How much of the stdlib could
be compiled with Cython and used during the startup process? How much of
an effect would it have on startup times and these benchmarks if
Cython-compiled extensions were used?

I'm thinking here of elimination of .pyc interpretation and execution
(stat calls would be similar, probably slightly higher).

To be clear - I'm *not* suggesting Cython become part of the required
build toolchain. But *if* the Cython-compiled extensions prove to be
significantly faster I'm thinking maybe it could become a semi-supported
option (e.g. a HOWTO with the caveat "it worked on this particular system").

Tim Delaney