[Cython] array.array member renaming

Nikita Nemkin nikita at nemkin.ru
Tue Jun 4 17:23:47 CEST 2013

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 18:27:15 +0600, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de>
wrote:

> Nikita Nemkin, 04.06.2013 12:17:
>> On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 14:47:47 +0600, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>>> Nikita Nemkin, 04.06.2013 10:29:

>>> Are one-shot operations on arrays really so common for you that the
>>> explicit "unpacking" step matters for your code?
>>
>> I use array in most places where you would normally see bare pointer and
>> malloc/PyMem_Malloc. Automatic memory management FTW.
>>
>> Many people would do the same if they knew about arrays
>> and a special support for them that Cython provides.
>> (Personally, I had discovered it by browsing standard include .pxd
>> files)
>>
>> Array class members also have "self." prepended which does not help
>> brevity.
>> So, yeah, it matters. Sure I can live with overly verbose names,
>> but there is certainly room for improvement.
>>
>> ATM I have 96 cases of ".data.as_XXX" in my codebase and that's after
>> folding some of them using local variables
>> (like "cdef int* segments = self.segments.data.as_ints").
>
> And the local assignment also resolves the pointer indirection for "self"
> here, which the C compiler can't really reason about otherwise.

>>> IMHO, the explicit names read better and make it clear what happens.
>>
>> Indexing makes it clear enough that, well, indexing happens.
>> Direct array access is sort of magic anyway.
>> Here is an example of unnecessary verbosity:
>>
>>     while width + piDx.data.as_ints[start] < maxWidth:
>>         width += piDx.data.as_ints[start]
>>         start += 1
>
> Agreed that it's more verbose than necessary, but my gut feeling is
> still:
> if it's worth shorting, it's worth assigning. If it's not worth
> assigning,
> it's likely not worth shortening either.

Shortening is about readability. Extra CPU time to dereference self is
not my concern. (I'm pretty sure L1 cache hides the cost.)

> So, I do see your problem, but it's not obvious to me that it's worth
> doing
> something about it. Especially not something as broad as duplicating the
> direct access interface.

I guess I'll just copy array.pxd and modify it to suit my needs.
(Long member names is not my only grievance.)
Modified include path should do the trick.

Best regards,
Nikita Nemkin