[Cython] aritmetic with arrays in Cython

Ian Henriksen insertinterestingnamehere at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 04:34:36 CEST 2014

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ian Henriksen
> <insertinterestingnamehere at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe I should clarify a little about why eigen is a good place to start.
> > According to <a
> > href="http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/dox/TopicLazyEvaluation.html">
> http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/dox/TopicLazyEvaluation.html</a>
> > it
> > already takes care of things like the elimination of temporary variables
> > and common subexpression reduction at compile time. This should make it
> > possible to compile array expressions in Cython without having to
> > re-implement those sorts of optimizations. Ideally we would just have to
> > map memory view operations to corresponding equivalents from eigen. It's
> > not yet clear to me how to do things with arbitrary-dimensional arrays or
> > broadcasting, but, given some more time, a solution may present itself.
> > -Ian
>
> cilkplus is what you want, not Eigen.
>
> But if you are serious about number crunching, learn Fortran 95.
>

> Sturla

Cilk Plus would also work really nicely for this. Thanks for the suggestion.
Fortran is a really great language for this sort of thing, but I don't
think I'm ready to tackle the difficulties of using it as a backend for
array arithmetic in Cython. It would be a really great feature to have
later on though.
Thanks!
-Ian