[Cython] memory view creation during cascaded assignments

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun Jul 6 10:53:38 CEST 2014

Hi Mark!

Mark Florisson, 05.07.2014 14:49:
> On 5 July 2014 11:34, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> I started optimising cascaded assignments a little to reduce the
>> unnecessary duplication of coercions.
>> It's explicitly tested for that we create two independent memory views in
>> this case. Is there an actual reason for this? As long as the types of a
>> and b are identical, I don't see why we would want to request the buffer twice.
>
> I think it's mostly for simplicity, since any reaching definition is
> cleared at the end of the function. Are you thinking to generally
> implement this?

No, it just got in the way for cascaded assignments. For anything else, I
think users can just assign an existing memory view reference instead of
the original object if they need another variable. That's up to them, and
the difference should be obvious enough when you run into it.

Thanks for the quick answer, I'm happy that I don't have to add a special
case to my changes just for this.