[Cython] License information on each individual files

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sat Jul 19 00:12:56 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Robert Bradshaw <robertwb at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > You want to display the Apache licence in every single file, even those
>> > with utility C code?
>>
>> It's annoying, but a pretty standard request. Debian once made me do
>> this for some package or another (forget which) before they would
>> distribute it, though obviously that rule is inconsistently applied.
>> Still, it's pretty trivial and has real-world consequences, so why
>> reject a patch like this?
>

> Debian currently distributes Cython without these headers.

Yes, they're inconsistent, as I noted.

> I am curious why a licence in a top level directory that explicitly states
> it applies to everything in that directory is not sufficiently clear. What
> about auto-generated files? What about binary blobs? All 1000+ test files?
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#copy-per-file

That link is about sticking a copy of the apache license text in every
file, this is about having a few line header saying "This is part of
Cython, copyright Cython devs, released under Apache-2, see LICENSE.txt for
details".

I'm just saying, you can argue about how chromium's lawyers ought to think,
or you can just say "whatever, patches welcome" and merge it if it arrives.
Your time is yours to spend as you wish :-) I was also very annoyed
initially when asked to do this, so thought I'd share my experience in case
it was useful.

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith