[Cython] Wrong order of __Pyx_DECREF when calling a function with an implicit str → char* conversion.

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Fri May 30 15:24:55 CEST 2014

Stefan Behnel, 30.05.2014 15:01:
> Emmanuel Gil Peyrot, 28.05.2014 13:25:
>> I was testing my cython codebase on top of pypy/cpyext, and I found a
>> memory corruption.  After investigating it with the pypy guys (thanks
>> arigato!), we identified it as a cython bug:
>>
>>  cdef void test(char *string):
>>      print(string)
>>
>>  def run(array):
>>      test(array[0])
>>

>> This code works fine under cpython, but looking at the generated code
>> for the last line, the call to test is done with a pointer (__pyx_t_2)
>> to some potentially deallocated string (__pyx_t_1), which isn’t freed
>> just yet on cpython but is on pypy:
>>
>>  __pyx_t_1 = __Pyx_GetItemInt(__pyx_v_array, 0, …);
>>  __Pyx_GOTREF(__pyx_t_1);
>>  __pyx_t_2 = __Pyx_PyObject_AsString(__pyx_t_1);
>>  __Pyx_DECREF(__pyx_t_1); __pyx_t_1 = 0;
>>  __pyx_f_1a_test(__pyx_t_2);
>>

>> The obvious solution is to swap the last two lines, it then works fine
>> on pypy (although not necessarily if the test function stores the
>> pointer somewhere, but it’s not cython’s fault then).
>>
>> This issue can also happen with an explicit cast:
>>
>>  pointer = <char *>array[0]
>>  test(pointer)
>>

>> I’m not sure if it should be addressed the same way, because that would
>> mean keeping a reference to array[0] for all the lifetime of the
>> current scope, but it could still prevent obscure bugs like the memory
>> corruption I had.
>
> Neither of these two examples should compile. Even in CPython, indexing can
> not only return a safe reference but a new object, e.g.
>
>     class Indy(object):
>         def __getitem__(self, i): return "abc%s" % i
>
>     run(Indy())
>
> This should crash also in CPython, or at least show unpredictable results.
>
> Cython has a mechanism to reject this kind of code, not sure why it
> wouldn't strike here.

Hmm, actually, only the cast is a problem. The function call could be made
to work by explicitly keeping a reference to the object around the call. We
already do this in other cases anyway, just for the coerced values. This
would be a special case where we would have to store the original value
instead.