[Cython] [FEATURE REQUEST] VisualBasic

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed Nov 5 20:20:37 CET 2014

Zaxebo Yaxebo schrieb am 05.11.2014 um 19:35:
> Sturla>>> Ok, so it is to guard against spelling errors?
>
> Yes, thats a real big problem, once .
>
> Others are sufferring from this too, as i mentioned in my original post
>
> Here are other people also requesting the similar thing:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/613364/is-there-a-need-for-a-use-strict-
> python-compiler
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13425715/does-python-have-a-use-strict-
> and-use-warnings-like-in-perl
> http://stevesprogramming.blogspot.in/2013/03/why-python-needs-perls-use-
> strict.html
> http://bytes.com/topic/python/answers/632587-python-feature-request-explicit-
> variable-declarations
>
> As cython already implements "cdef int a1","cdef double a2" type statements,
> so implementing "cdef var a1" and optionally making their explicit
> declaration on, should be a do-able thing.

This has come up a couple of times before, so there are certainly some
people who would benefit from a directive that enables warnings
specifically about inferred Python object variables.

> This "explcit declaration of variables - on" can be made by the programmer -
> either by "cython.option_strict(True)" or by some command line option to
> cython.

A directive, see Options.py. There are already two directives called
"warn.undeclared" and "infer_types.verbose". Combining those should get
close to what you are looking for.