[Cython] Cython sometimes fails to build on Travis

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Nov 7 23:43:49 CET 2014

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej at certik.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Cython sometimes fails to build on Travis for various projects. If it
> fails, it always ends with this error:
>
> https://gist.github.com/certik/08f16dd572170c17d956

I don't have any insight into the error, but for CI purposes I install
cython with:

pip install --install-option="--no-cython-compile" cython

which skips the compilation of cython itself (i.e. your cython code is
still translated from .pyx to .c, but the cython compiler that does
this translation runs as a pure python program). This is ridiculously
faster than a normal install -- skipping compiling cython takes
minutes off the build, which is far far far more than one loses by
making cythonization faster.

I mention it here because it seems like aside from being a good idea
in general, it might also serve as a workaround for whatever this
problem is.

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith