[Cython] Cython sometimes fails to build on Travis

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Sat Nov 8 16:29:05 CET 2014

Hi Nathan,

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej at certik.cz> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Cython sometimes fails to build on Travis for various projects. If it
>> fails, it always ends with this error:
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/certik/08f16dd572170c17d956
>
> I don't have any insight into the error, but for CI purposes I install
> cython with:
>
> pip install --install-option="--no-cython-compile" cython
>
> which skips the compilation of cython itself (i.e. your cython code is
> still translated from .pyx to .c, but the cython compiler that does
> this translation runs as a pure python program). This is ridiculously
> faster than a normal install -- skipping compiling cython takes
> minutes off the build, which is far far far more than one loses by
> making cythonization faster.

This is a great suggestion! I've implemented it in

https://github.com/sympy/csympy/pull/313

and it fixes all problems (and it cut testing time in half). Of
course, I think there is still some underlying bug in Cython
or something else, but at least as far as Travis is concerned, this is
a solution for us.

Thanks,
Ondrej