[Cython] Python 3 wheels including bytecode files.

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 16:24:56 CEST 2015

On 2 October 2015 at 17:01, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Lisandro Dalcin schrieb am 02.10.2015 um 15:18:
>>>
>>> Yes, I'm aware of this. I'll push a fix in branch 0.23.x (I'm doing my
>>> tests in OS X), then see what happens with the AppVeyor builds.
>>
>> AppVeyor builds succeeded:
>> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/cython/cython/build/0.23.x-4
>>
>> The Python 3 wheels no longer have *.pyc files, so I'm confident this
>> is fixed for other platforms as well.
>>
>> Stefan, could you manage to merge branch 0.23.x into master?
>
> Done, thanks! github just told me that my merge landed as commit 11111. :)
>
> I also changed a couple of minor things:
>
> https://github.com/cython/cython/commit/64da2480e88d8cd3eec2b9a5d2922307623c3cd5

I don't like your change. Before, the self-cythonization was triggeres
when you actually needed to compile the extensions, now a simple
"setup.py --version" will do.

Try yourself:

$ git clean -dxf
$ python setup.py --version

> I guess the
>
>    # XXX hack for '*.pyx ' sources
>
> referred to the setuptools quirk that stubbornly replaces .pyx by .c?

Yes, indeed.

>> PS: At some point, we should try to really run the testsuite in AppVeyor.
>
> What's not working there?

Right now, the "test" step in AppVeyor invokes "python setup.py test",
which basically does nothing. I mean, you should run "python
runtests.py" intead.
https://github.com/cython/cython/blob/0.23.x/appveyor.yml#L73

--
Lisandro Dalcin

4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
al-Khawarizmi Bldg (Bldg 1), Office # 4332
Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
http://www.kaust.edu.sa

Office Phone: +966 12 808-0459