[Cython] cygdb: no debug files were found

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 21:29:54 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I'm following the directions in the link below to debug some cython code
using cygdb:

http://docs.cython.org/src/userguide/debugging.html

Unfortunately, when I try to actually debug my program using cygdb, I get a
"no debug files were found" error.

It looks like the error is getting raised here:
https://github.com/cython/cython/blob/master/Cython/Debugger/Cygdb.py#L33

So for some reason the "cython_debug" folder isn't being generated at build
time. I tried to follow the directions closely, you can see the notes I put
together during the installation process here:
https://bpaste.net/show/6b11f815d449

Unfortunately the library I'm trying to debug (yt:
bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt) uses a somewhat nonstandard build setup based
on numpy distutils, and I suspect that is breaking some of the assumptions
that went into the cygdb instructions in the cython docs.

Does anyone have any idea what went wrong here?

For now I'm going to fall back to regular gdb, and debug the autogenerated
cython sources.

Thanks for your help,

Nathan Goldbaum