[Cython] Fwd: Question about how best require compiler options for C sources

Jeroen Demeyer jdemeyer at cage.ugent.be
Mon Apr 11 13:38:35 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-11 15:23, Erik Bray wrote:
> In this case I really do want the symbol "hello" to be
> exported by the DLL, as well as be understood between translation
> units making up the same library.

Are you really sure that you want this? I doubt that this is supported
on OS X: on OS X, there are two kinds of files: shared libraries (with
.dylib extension) and loadable modules or bundles (usually with .so
extension but officially with .bundle extension).

C extensions for Python are compiled as a loadable module and I don't
think you can link against these. See
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2339679/what-are-the-differences-between-so-and-dylib-on-osx

Some details in the above might be wrong, but I remember running into
this issue in some early version of cysignals.

Jeroen.