[Cython] Fwd: Question about how best require compiler options for C sources

Ian Henriksen insertinterestingnamehere at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 12:30:50 EDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 2:35 AM Erik Bray <erik.m.bray at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 7:49 PM, Ian Henriksen
> <insertinterestingnamehere at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That aside, I agree with Nathaniel that exporting public declarations as
> > part of the
> > shared object interface was a design mistake. That aside, however, using
> an
> > api
> > declaration lets you get equivalent results without exposing anything as
> > part of
> > the shared object API. Here's how this all works:
>
> I don't know if I would outright call it a "mistake", but in
> retrospect I think we're all in agreement now that maybe the behavior
> of "public" should be curtailed?  Or should we still try to keep its
> current behavior and "fix" it as I've been trying to do?

Great question, I don't know for sure. Input from others here would be nice.
My thoughts are basically just that we should do one or the other. If it's
supported
and we want to keep supporting it, let's make it work right on platforms
other than
Linux. If we want to stop supporting it, let's deprecate it.

Best,
-Ian