[Cython] Cannot cythonize subclasses of setuptools.extension._Extension

Erik Bray erik.m.bray at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 05:16:08 EDT 2016

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Manuel Nuno Melo
<manuel.nuno.melo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Erik,
> Please post your solution; I'm curious to see it.

Will do in a bit. I need to see if I can distill it somewhat from its
original context so that it can be better understood.

> Currently, we're also using setup_requires but are moving away from it
> because of two main issues:
>
> 1- there's no flexibility to hook into it via setuptools.Distribution
> subclassing (unless you rewrite the entire __init__);

I don't really think that's a big issue but maybe you've encountered
some reason that it is.
The worse thing about it is the general chicken-egg problem that you
need to call setup() to get your setup_requires, but you may need some
packages pulled in from setup_requires in order to do anything useful
with setup().

d2to1 [1] solves this problem quite well, but unfortunately
development on it is stalled for the time being.  Another alternative
that can work quite well is some version of Daniel Holth's
"setup-requires" hack [2].

> 2- (and more serious) setuptools installs setup_requires dependencies in the
> local directory, not as a system-wide install.

That's a feature, not a bug.  Build requirements for a package might
be in conflict with the versions of those same requirements you have
already installed.  It also prevents things from being installed that
are *not* required at runtime.  It makes it easier for projects to pin
a little more strictly to their known-working build requirements,
without the constraints imposed by supporting a wider range of runtime
requirements.

> Even worse, it then puts a
> path link to the current directory under the system-wide easy_install.pth.
> This means that if you install from the source directory via 'sudo
> ./setup.py install', you get a Cython egg downloaded into that directory,
> and its path added to sys.path (!!). Needless to say this can break in many
> nasty ways...

Huh??  I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing now.  The local
.eggs cache directory created for setup_requires downloads most
certainly does not get added to easy_install.pth.  Are you sure you're
not thinking of `setup.py develop`?

[1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/d2to1
[2] https://bitbucket.org/dholth/setup-requires/src