[Cython] RFC: an inline_ function that dumps c/c++ code to the code emitter

William Stein wstein at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 15:19:47 EDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Jason Newton <nevion at gmail.com> wrote:
> You must realize that almost any other python driven way to compile c-code
> in the spirit these projects do is deprecated/dead.  Cython has absorbed all
> the reputation and users that didn't go to pure-c/boost.python - pybind11 is
> the new kid on the block there so I'm not including it (I'm of the opinion
> that SWIG users stayed unchanged).  Community belief/QA/designers/google all
> think of Cython first.  Weave has effectively closed up it's doors [...]

May I ask why "any other python driven way to compile c-code in the
spirit these projects do is deprecated/dead?"    I'm curious since
when I started Sage (and Cython based on forking Pyrex), it was
because none of the other approaches seemed like they would work for
the developer base I envisioned growing for Sage.   That was a long
time ago, and I'm always pleasantly surprised that Cython has become
very popular.  However, I didn't realize the other approaches were
deprecated/dead.

William

--
William (http://wstein.org)