[Cython] NumPy C API Status?

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:36:58 EST 2016

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 10:43 AM, Marvin Ritter <marvin.ritter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I can update the numpy/__init__.pxd to match the new API and create a
> pull request for it. How do we want to handle the deprecated methods and
> types? 1.7 not only added new stuff it also changed return values and type
> names. If we remove old names user will be forced to update their code.
> Otherwise we can delay it until NumPy drops the old API.

How about you create a pull request to better visualize exactly what
changed. We may need to create two separate numpy files, but ideally
we'd be able to do it in such a way that people could migrate their
code over before we delete the old definitions.

> Updating the buffer support sounds like a good idea to me, we would get rid
> of the deprecation warning, but I think I'm not qualified enough for it.

Wouldn't hurt to give it a go. IIRC, many of the changes were moving
from using direct access (e.g. of structs) to using macros.