[Cython] Cython infrastructure

Dima Pasechnik dimpase+github at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 07:29:02 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Baptiste Carvello
<devel at baptiste-carvello.net> wrote:
> Le 20/07/2016 19:23, Robert Bradshaw a écrit :
>
>> +1
>>
>> I'm a big advocate of privacy, and informed consent when choosing to
>> give any of it away (e.g. allowing linking of activities to build a
>> (pseudonymous or not) reputation).
>
> (philosophical side note: "consent" is not free of coercion, and thus
> rather irrelevant, when Github is taking over 90% of Open Source projects.)
>
>> [...] Personally, I'm actually quite
>> happy to have my activities on github correlated with my identity.
>> (Actually, it's a net plus, not a concession.)
>
> I understand your point, but I'd like to make a different choice.
>
>> Of course you can always set up any number of unrelated pseudonyms on
>> github, delete cookies, use incognito mode, and even do everything via
>> tor if you really want.
>
> No, I can't (unless I want to play cat and mouse with them, which is no
> fun). And that is the whole of the problem, as I say in my other message.

Actually, it's not clear why this is a problem. If you do not want to
play cat and
mouse (which means removing cookies often, etc), you would create an
identity that
only you know, and let this avatar do all the talking and working on github.
There are plenty of github users out there like this, nobody sees who
they really are.
(github knows a working email address for them, that's basically all).

>> However, while "Subscribe to Github" is a perfectly reasonable answer,
>> and one that would in practice include more people than it would
>> exclude (compared to our current system, or many alternatives), it's
>> not like we're going to suddenly refuse all discussions of bugs on the
>> mailing lists. We're low enough volume to be flexible. A real bug
>> tracker is simply more useful for tracking issues than an inbox.
>
> As long as the mailing list stays, any concrete difficulty can be solved
> when it arises through a constructive discussion, so nothing is lost!
>
> I trust that Cython won't ever do like some other projects, which have
> suppressed any kind of non-Github contact channel. That would be the
> real pain.

IMHO this is just spreading FUD.
Many, many projects with presence on github have, say, google groups
or/and non-github based bug/issue trackers as primary means of
communication. Noone ever heard of github undermining these projects
in any way.

Dima