[Cython] Static checker for cython extension dependencies?

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 13:55:59 EDT 2016

The reason we haven't done that is we would like our setup.py script to be
runnable without cython being installed. I think cythonize is being invoked
(or something similar to it) by setuptools, using a feature added in
setuptools 18.0:
https://setuptools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/history.html#id60

Is there a way to use cythonize for this build workflow without importing
it at the top-level in our setup.py file?

FWIW, our setup.py file is here:
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/src/yt/setup.py?at=yt&fileviewer=file-view-default