[Cython] Static checker for cython extension dependencies?

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 18:45:09 EDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Robert Bradshaw <robertwb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hmm, so I've looked into this a bit further, and it looks like the
>> > metadata
>> > isn't going to be useful for us. Many of our extensions can't be
>> > autogenerated by cython because they have non-trivial dependencies
>>
>> meaning? In my cursory glance, these all look fine, but perhaps you
>> could point me at a case that isn't very nice. Also, cythonize isn't
>> necessarily all-or-nothing--you can always manually add Extensions to
>> your list.
>>

>> > or depend directly on C code.
>>
>> cythonize handles dependencies on C code just fine
>>
>> > For these extensions, cythonize must be passed an
>> > instantiated Extension object, and the metadata embedded in the compiled
>> > file just uses whatever metadata is attached to the Extension object.
>>
>> The embedded metadata is the union of what was in the Extension object
>> and the extra dependencies it found.
>

> Hmm, maybe I made a mistake, but when I passed an Extension object to
> cythonize earlier, I found that the metadata that got written out to the
> autogenerated C only included the dependencies that were listed in the
> Extension object's declaration, not additional ones inferred by cython.
> Perhaps this is a bug?

Sounds like a bug to me.

>> > I think my original idea - to parse pyx files for cimports and add a
>> > test -
>> > should allow us to manage this more safely in the future while still
>> > maintaining fine-grained control over dependencies of C extensions in
>> > our
>> > setup.py file.
>> >
>> > That said, I'd love to hear alternate ideas.
>>
>> "Parse pyx files for cimports" (recursively, handing includes and cdef
>> extern from ...) is essentially re-implementing cythonize. What is the
>> advantage of maintaining them by hand? Cythonize was invented because
>> people are really bad at maintaining these lists manually...and they
>> can be entirely deduced.
>
> The advantage here is that in my couple hours of playing with using
> cythonize for our setup.py script, I couldn't get it to correctly generate
> the metadata I needed to validate the dependencies, so it wasn't providing
> any added value. Again, it's entirely possible I was making a mistake
> somewhere.

:(. I'll take a quick stab at it.

> Also, separately, the fake_cythonize script you suggested will error out if
> cython isn't installed and the cython-generated C files do not exist yet.

The fake_cythonize script (and metadata) is intended for the case that
the user doesn't have Cython, but the C files are shipped. Sounds like
you require Cython (installing it for the user if they don't have it).

> That certainly makes sense if you expect developers to have cython
> available, but it's a downgrade with respect to our current setup. Right now
> we have it set up so that setuptools will install cython into the build
> environment while it is processing C extensions if it is not already
> installed. This means if new developers or users come along and want to
> build yt from source, they won't need to explicitly install cython first -
> setuptools will take care of it for us. This makes our installation
> instructions simpler and causes fewer head-scratching crashes when people
> try to compile yt from source.

Makes sense. In this case, you would have to avoid importing and
calling cythonize until after your setup.py invoked setup.