[Cython] Support for .pxi files

Jeroen Demeyer jdemeyer at cage.ugent.be
Fri Mar 11 04:13:34 EST 2016

Dear Cython developers,

I'm writing this in response to Robert's "I'd really rather deprecate
.pxi files completely".

Can you please explain what you have against .pxi files? I know they
have been abused and 95% of the historic use cases should be replaced by
other means. However, that alone is not sufficient reason to stop
supporting them: there is still the 5% of cases where they are really
useful.

I think that you should continue to support .pxi files on a same level
as .pxd files. I still do not understand why
https://github.com/cython/cython/pull/392 was refused and it seems that
https://github.com/cython/cython/pull/483 is going to be refused too.

Jeroen Demeyer.