[Cython] Manylinux wheels for Cython

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 17:58:36 EDT 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 5:47 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know whether y'all have been following over at distutils-sig,
> but there's a new distutils PEP that defines a `manylinux` format for
> Linux wheels that work on many different x86 Linux distributions:
>
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0513/
> https://github.com/pypa/manylinux
>
> The latest version of pip will install these, if the client Linux
> system is compatible with the manylinux spec:
>
> https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/news/
>
> I've already built and used manylinux Cython wheels, which y'all are
> welcome to test with:
>
> pip install -f https://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/manylinux cython
>
> (The wheels there don't have the right manylinux filenames yet, but
> they have the same contents as the ones that would go up to pypi).
>
> I've already had good use from these wheels in speeding up project
> builds into docker containers and virtualenvs, and I'd love to upload
> these to pypi.   I have permissions on pypi to do this, but I wanted
> to check in with y'all first...

There is now a test wheel for Cython 0.23.4 and Python 3.5 on the
testpypi server.

This is me downloading and installing - a matter of a few seconds:

$ python -m pip install -U pip
Downloading/unpacking pip from
https://pypi.python.org/packages/py2.py3/p/pip/pip-8.1.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl#md5=c6eca6736b2b8f7280fb25e44be7c51b
  Downloading pip-8.1.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (1.2MB): 1.2MB downloaded
Installing collected packages: pip
  Found existing installation: pip 1.5.6
    Uninstalling pip:
      Successfully uninstalled pip
Successfully installed pip
Cleaning up...
$ pip install -i https://testpypi.python.org/pypi/ cython
Collecting cython
  Using cached https://testpypi.python.org/packages/cp35/C/Cython/Cython-0.23.4-cp35-cp35m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl
Installing collected packages: cython
Successfully installed cython-0.23.4
$ cython --version
Cython version 0.23.4

The installed Cython version compiles all the Demo *.pyx files OK.

See also : https://mail.python.org/pipermail/wheel-builders/2016-March/000050.html

Best,

Matthew