[Cython] Manylinux wheels for Cython

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 14:46:16 EDT 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 5:47 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't know whether y'all have been following over at distutils-sig,
>> but there's a new distutils PEP that defines a `manylinux` format for
>> Linux wheels that work on many different x86 Linux distributions:
>>
>> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0513/
>> https://github.com/pypa/manylinux
>>
>> The latest version of pip will install these, if the client Linux
>> system is compatible with the manylinux spec:
>>
>> https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/news/
>>
>> I've already built and used manylinux Cython wheels, which y'all are
>> welcome to test with:
>>
>> pip install -f https://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/manylinux cython
>>
>> (The wheels there don't have the right manylinux filenames yet, but
>> they have the same contents as the ones that would go up to pypi).
>>
>> I've already had good use from these wheels in speeding up project
>> builds into docker containers and virtualenvs, and I'd love to upload
>> these to pypi.   I have permissions on pypi to do this, but I wanted
>> to check in with y'all first...
>
> There is now a test wheel for Cython 0.23.4 and Python 3.5 on the
> testpypi server.
>
> This is me downloading and installing - a matter of a few seconds:
>
> $ python -m pip install -U pip
> Downloading/unpacking pip from
> https://pypi.python.org/packages/py2.py3/p/pip/pip-8.1.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl#md5=c6eca6736b2b8f7280fb25e44be7c51b
>   Downloading pip-8.1.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (1.2MB): 1.2MB downloaded
> Installing collected packages: pip
>   Found existing installation: pip 1.5.6
>     Uninstalling pip:
>       Successfully uninstalled pip
> Successfully installed pip
> Cleaning up...
> $ pip install -i https://testpypi.python.org/pypi/ cython
> Collecting cython
>   Using cached https://testpypi.python.org/packages/cp35/C/Cython/Cython-0.23.4-cp35-cp35m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl
> Installing collected packages: cython
> Successfully installed cython-0.23.4
> $ cython --version
> Cython version 0.23.4
>
> The installed Cython version compiles all the Demo *.pyx files OK.
>
> See also : https://mail.python.org/pipermail/wheel-builders/2016-March/000050.html

A manylinux wheel (gevent) is already the current most-downloaded
binary wheel from pypi.

A reminder that y'all can test the Cython wheels with:

python -m pip install --upgrade pip  # You need latest pip
pip install -f https://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/manylinux cython

If I don't hear any objections, I plan to upload the Cython manylinux
wheels on Monday 28th.

Cheers,

Matthew