[Cython] Manylinux wheels for Cython

Nathaniel Smith njs at vorpus.org
Mon Mar 28 20:14:56 EDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 4:04 PM, Emmanuel Gil Peyrot
<linkmauve at linkmauve.fr> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 10:54:21AM -0700, Matthew Brett wrote:
> […]
>> I uploaded manylinux wheels for Cython 0.23.5.
>>
>> If you're on Linux, and you upgrade pip to 8.1.1 (current) you should
>> now get Cython via a manylinux wheel by default.
>>
>> Please do test and let me know of any problems.
>
> Thanks, this significantly improves the install-time required for
> poezio for people who don’t already have cython installed.
>
> Do you plan on publishing AArch64 and ARMv7h wheels as well?  Those are
> the systems most impacted by the compile time of cython.

PEP 513 only standardizes linux wheels for x86-{32,64}, because its
strategy is to say "hey, in practice everyone is careful to maintain
backwards ABI compatibility with RHEL-cough-I-mean-CentOS 5, so let's
use that as our standard ABI". But CentOS 5 is only available for
x86-{32,64}.

It would be great if there's some way to standardize an ABI that lets
us distribute ARM wheels -- I just don't know enough about ARM to have
any idea how to do that :-). One possibility would be to standardize a
way to distribute wheels that target particular distributions, so you
could have e.g. a wheel for Raspbian specifically -- Nate Coraor was
interested in working on this. If you send an email to distutils-sig
volunteering to help then you might get some takers :-). Alternatively
maybe there is some minimum baseline ABI that most/all ARM
distributions actually do agree on in practice, similar to CentOS 5
for x86 variants... that could also be used to standardize something.
But either way it would need someone with the appropriate expertise
(or willingness to fake it) to step up and make a proposal on
distutils-sig.

-n