[Cython] [cython-users] Re: Cython 0.23.5 released

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Mar 31 09:40:03 EDT 2016

Jason Madden schrieb am 31.03.2016 um 15:13:
> On Thursday, 31 March 2016 00:50:57 UTC-5, Matthew Brett wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Forest Gregg <fgr... at gmail.com
>> <javascript:>> wrote:
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Are there also plans to post Windows wheels for cython 0.23.5 to pypi
>> like
>>> there was for 0.23.4?
>>
>> I did that earlier today, using an Appveyor build system :
>>
>> https://github.com/MacPython/cython-wheels/blob/master/appveyor.yml
>> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/matthew-brett/cython-wheels
>> http://win-wheels.scikit-image.org/
>>
>> Do they work for you?
>
> They work for building gevent on Appveyor. The cython binary wheels cut
> gevent's total build time by more than half (they save almost 10 minutes).

That makes me wonder if we shouldn't just provide pure Python wheels of
Cython, i.e. without compiling any binary extensions in them. For one-time
installs, it would only be marginally slower than with a compiled Cython,
but it would work on all platforms with all Python versions.

I guess the drawback would be that it would be more hassle for people who
really want to install Cython permanently for themselves...

Is there a way to tag a wheel somehow as "special"? I doubt that
Nick&friends thought about the special Cython installation use case when
designing the format...